|2015 End of Season Reminders OPP|
|Outside Pond Park Reservations|
|Sign our Website Guest Book !!|
|Review Our Town Council Minutes|
|Perfect Destination for Visitors|
|Maritime Heritage of Winterton|
Welcome to the Town of Winterton
Town of Winterton - Municipal Building
Winterton is a town in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. It was originally named Scilly Cove. In 1912, the town was named Winterton for Sir James Spearman Winter, former Premier of Newfoundland.
Winterton is located on Trinity Bay on the western side of the Avalon Peninsula on Newfoundland's beautiful east coast.
The town has a population of 484 residents (2011 census). The first record of settlement is found in Captain John Berry's Report to the British Admiralty in which he indicates that, in 1675, there were three fishing enterprises. These fishing crews departed from the West Country of England (probably from the city of Poole in Dorset) in the early spring of each year to fish in waters near the coast. The fish would be salted and dried in structures along the shore (known as stages and flakes) and shipped to England in the Fall. The three fishing Captains were Hopkins, Wicksell and Peyton who, along with their crews, comprised a population of less than 100 people.
The small boats suitable for fishing in near shore waters were constructed using local timber following ancient designs and using implements and tools whose origins can be traced to Saxon England. The Wooden Boat Museum of Newfoundland & Labrador has preserved these ancient techniques and tools. The museum has newly constructed boats on display - as well as the tools and axe hewn timbers.
Winterton Events Calendar
Find Winterton on Facebook